Program Manager, Fisheries
Position: Program Manager, Fisheries
Location: Vancouver or Prince Rupert, BC
Start Date: December 2019
Position status: Permanent, full-time position (37.5 hours/week).
Salary Range: $65,000-75,000 annually, depending on experience. Generous benefits package available after 3 months.
Organization and Program Background
Ecotrust Canada is an enterprising nonprofit powered by the vision of people and nature thriving together. We develop innovative economic solutions that enable rural and remote communities across Canada to share in the management and benefit of local resources – from forestry to fisheries to housing to energy. Our on-the-ground work and systems approach is entrepreneurial, partnership-based and relentlessly practical. Ecotrust Canada is an equal opportunities employer. Learn more at ecotrust.ca
Ecotrust Canada’s fisheries and marine program is deeply rooted in community and solution building in coastal BC. Our fisheries vision is for resilient fisheries that meet the immediate social and economic needs of adjacent communities without compromising ecological integrity and the needs of future generations.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and energetic individual with a background in fisheries who has experience and skills in project management, community organizing, relationship building, and facilitation. The Program Manager is initially responsible for working with Ecotrust Canada’s fisheries leadership team to manage a fast-paced, partner-driven scope of work which brings together fish harvesters, fishing communities, and decision-makers around a common goal of creating more sustainable and resilient fisheries on the Pacific coast of Canada.
The role will also include responsibilities for our broader fisheries programming including fisheries monitoring and observer operations on the BC Coast and operational support for staff in our Vancouver and Prince Rupert offices. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a high capacity for fostering community and partner relationships; advancing strategic decision-making and planning; ensuring high quality project delivery; and identifying and pursuing funding opportunities to achieve Ecotrust Canada’s mission.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
● Project management, including setting objectives, activities, timelines and budget management
● Client/partner relationship building including liaison with local fish harvesters and organizations, government representatives, and First Nations
● Managing fisheries related fundraising and/or fee-for-service opportunities, and supporting organization-wide fundraising
● Advocating for and developing new relationships and opportunities for community-based observer training and monitoring, to build local fisheries knowledge and capacity
● Event management, including convening and hosting industry and community gatherings and workshop(s) as necessary
● Overseeing research and analysis on fisheries policy and economics
● Strong project management and administration skills, including, workload management and planning.
● Experience and proficiency with multi-stakeholder engagement and process facilitation, partnership development, collaboration and negotiation skills.
● Skills and experience in writing detailed reports and summaries for a wide variety of audiences and in presentations and public speaking across diverse audiences.
● Knowledge and experience in working with Indigenous communities on social, economic and cultural issues
● Self-directed, with personal integrity, progressive values, and a passion for Ecotrust Canada’s vision and mission.
● Proven leadership and skills and in staff recruitment, mentoring, management, and development.
● Post-secondary degree, or equivalent competencies developed through work experience
● Ability to travel and possession of a BC driver’s licence
● Preference for candidates with knowledge of, and experience with, applicable laws, policies and regulations in BC and federally, related to fisheries management and marine planning.
● Preference for candidates with direct commercial fishing experience.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com with ‘Program Manager, Fisheries’ in the subject line by midnight on November 10, 2019.