The Skeena Watershed Initiative
The SWI is a collaborative planning process comprised of Fisheries & Oceans Canada, the Province of BC, First Nations, commercial and recreational harvest interests, watershed based conservation organizations and local governments involved in the conservation and management of Skeena salmonids and their habitat. The SWI works to support implementation of Canada’s Policy for the Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon, including the policy’s objective to maintain the integrity of the diverse freshwater, coastal and marine habitats upon which salmon depend. The SWI website is under development.
- support the implementation of the Wild Salmon Policy by providing the best available information for decision making in watershed management;
- inform and engage decision makers and the general public about sockeye habitat;
- build a foundation of information, maps and data organization that can be expanded upon over time.
- an informational poster about high-value sockeye habitat;
- a set of large-scale maps comprising an atlas of sockeye lake conservation units;
- a large format map (12 MB PDF) of the whole watershed at 1:450,000;
- an annotated bibliography