On this resources page, you will find:
- Educational material on the benefits of energy-saving renovations
- A list of external links for rebates and other helpful things. As a participant in the Home Energy Savings Program, we’ll help you sort out which of these is applicable to you.
What are energy-saving renovations, and what is a heat pump
Energy-saving renovations, such as heat pumps, improved insulation, and better-quality windows, offer multiple benefits:
- They greatly reduce energy bills through more efficient use of energy
- By reducing the burning of fossil fuels and wood, they improve the air quality in your home and neighbourhood
- They will increase the comfort of your home by reducing hot and cold swings that are reduced by closing drafts and gaps (in the case of insulation and windows). Heat pumps provide a steady and consistent heat rather than the full-throttle, on-then-off heat from older technologies, and they also provide cooling in the summer!
For additional information on “what is a heat pump,” visit BC Hydro‘s website and enjoy this video:
The cost and annual savings of energy renovations
We will be updating this section in spring 2024 when new grants are announced. There are currently rebates offered through the CleanBC program available to all households and additional funding for income-qualified households.
Federally, NRCan continues to offer a grant for converting oil heating to heat pumps.
The Federal Greener Homes Grant closed to new applications in February 2024. A new program catering to median and low-income households has been promised for spring 2024, but no announcement or guidelines for this new program have been released. When that information is available, we will communicate it to our Home Energy Savings Program participants.
The https://www.betterhomesbc.ca/ website is a great place to start with resources such as:
- A rebate search tool and lists of provincial, federal, and municipal rebate programs
- Complete List to CleanBC Rebates
- Lists of energy advisors and contractors
- Information about how different types of upgrades work
- Energy coaches available at 1-844-881-9790
- Support in multiple languages at https://support.empowerme.ca/cleanbc/english/
CleanBC Better Homes (provincial):
- Home Renovation Rebate Program
- Northern top-up offer applies in the Prince Rupert region
- Income-Qualified Program
- Low-Interest Financing Program (cannot be combined with B.C. rebates)
Canada Greener Homes Initiative (federal), closed in February 2024. The federal grants that are still available are listed below. A new program is to be announced in spring 2024.
- Canada Greener Homes Loan
- Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program (income-qualified)
- Nisga’a Urban Housing Renovation Grant (for Nisga’a citizens)