Having your forestland FSC® certified has never been easier or more cost effective thanks to Ecotrust Canada’s Forest Management Group (FSC® C017908), which dramatically speeds up the certification process and reduces costs for individual forest managers.
FSC® certification assures consumers that their purchases come from responsibly managed forests. As of March 2014, over 181 million hectares of forestlands are FSC® certified globally – over 54 million hectares of which are in Canada. Ecotrust Canada can help you become a part of this growing global phenomenon.
As a certified FSC® Group Manager, with the authority to assess group members against the FSC® BC Small and Low Intensity Managed Forests (SLIMF) Operations Standard, we are able to help woodlots, community forests, private landowners, First Nation tenures, and First Nations Woodland Licences become FSC® certified. Membership with the group allows forest managers to brand their wood as FSC® certified and enables them to sell to the growing number of FSC® certified sawmills, manufacturers and distributors.
What can Ecotrust Canada provide?
- Simple application package
- New member gap assessment and handbook
- Knowledge sharing and advisory services
- Annual internal audit
- FSC® standards compliance toolkit including range of natural variation decision matrix and Chain of Custody program template
What are the benefits of joining our Forest Management Group?
- Substantial savings as compared to the cost of independent FSC® certification – over 50 percent savings in most cases
- Reduced administrative requirements
- Use of the FSC® trademark and the Rainforest Alliance Certified trademark to promote your certification and label your forest products
- Support on interpreting and meeting all aspects of certification, including any complex situations which may arise
- Introduction to Chain of Custody operators and assistance in market connections
Who is eligible to join?
Membership is open to small tenure holders and small private holdings eligible for the “Small Operations” designation according to the FSC® standard. Management units must be smaller than 2,000 hectares, or have an Allowable Annual Cut (AAC) that is less than 5,000 cubic meters and less than 20 percent of the total mean annual increment of the productive forest area. We will be soon be certifying larger forests with another group certification in development.
Current FSC® Forest Management Group Members
- Elkington Forest, Shawnigan Lake, BC
- Marshall Forestry Services, Midway, BC
- Monticola Forest Ltd., Fruitvale, BC
- Cenwest Enterprises Ltd., Cluculz Lake, BC
- Shawnigan Lake School, Shawnigan Lake, BC
- Braithwaite Land Management Ltd., Vanderhoof, BC
- Garrett Ranches Ltd., Vanderhoof, BC
- Clayton Foster, Vanderhoof, BC
- Shawna Gregson, Vanderhoof, BC
How much does it cost?
Cost is variable depending on size and area to be certified. Quote available upon request.
Who is buying FSC® certified timber?
As consumer demand for responsible forest products grows, so does the number of processing and manufacturing companies purchasing FSC® certified timber in Canada. Refer to Ecotrust Canada’s FSC® Chain of Custody Group as possible buyers of FSC® certified timber.
Ecotrust Canada is certified as an FSC® Group Manager and has organized two FSC® certification groups: one for forestland managers and the other for chain-of-custody operators. For more information on the two groups, please visit our FSC® Certification services section by clicking here.